City of Subiaco - Accommodation businesses
iconSubiaco WA – 19.9˚
Mostly Sunny. Cool.

Accommodation businesses

Accommodation businesses

Operating an accommodation business (or ‘lodging house’) in the City of Subiaco requires approval.  This page contains information on registration, renewals and guidelines.

A lodging house is defined under the Health Act 1911 to mean "any building or structure, permanent or otherwise, and any part thereof, in which provision is made for lodging or boarding of more than six persons, exclusive of the family or the keeper there of, for hire or reward”, but does not include:

  • premises licensed under a publican's general licence, limited hotel licence, or wayside-house licence, granted under the Licensing Act 1911
  • residential accommodation for students in a non-government school within the meaning of the School Education Act 1999
  • any building comprising residential flats.

Submitting an application for a lodging house

All lodging houses within the City of Subiaco local government boundaries must be registered with the City of Subiaco. An application for registration of a lodging house (PDF, 121KB) should be completed and submitted to the city, along with:

  • the prescribed fee registration – please see our schedule of fees (PDF, 152KB)
  • detailed plans and specifications of the lodging house.

The City of Subiaco reserves the right to refuse to register as a keeper of a lodging house a person who is, in the opinion of the local government, an unfit person (as set out in Section 148 of the Health Act 1911).

Lodging houses within the city of Subiaco must be registered annually and the city can revoke the registration at any time if the lodging house has not complied with any aspect of the city's Health Local Law 1999.

For further information, contact the city on (08) 9237 9254 or refer to the city's Health Local Law 1999.