Busking and street entertainment
Busking adds to the city's vibrancy and helps to make Subiaco a unique place where people want to be. While the City of Subiaco encourages a lively street atmosphere, there are local laws in place to ensure public safety and accessibility throughout the city, and to maintain a balance between buskers and the needs of traders.
?Applying for a permit
Street entertainers are required to obtain approval before performing in the City of Subiaco.
Please refer to the application form (PDF, 126KB) to lodge your request.
A permit is valid only for the dates stipulated. Group acts are required to list all members’ details on the application form. Street entertainers must be able to produce the permit when requested and must comply with any directions from authorised City of Subiaco officers.
The City of Subiaco has four designated areas for busking and street entertainment:
- Subiaco Train Station
- Park Street (next to the post office on Rokeby Road)
- Forrest Walk (Rokeby Road opposite Churchill street)
- Library Corner (corner of Bagot and Rokeby roads).
Any person performing outside of these areas commits an offence. At all times, the entertainment must not interfere with pedestrian or vehicle access, including laneways and footpaths.
Street entertainment is permitted within the following times:
- Monday to Friday, 7am to 10pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 10pm.
?Conditions of approval
There are several conditions that you must be aware of before you apply for your approval. All performances are to comply with the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 and amplification equipment is not permitted at any time.
Performances cannot involve:
- anything offensive or obscene
- acts that create a nuisance
- weapons with sharp edges, cutting knives, chainsaws or swords or other dangerous items or activities
- activities or acts which endanger the safety of the public
- cruelty to animals.
For further information please contact the city on (08) 9237 9254.